Alwright & Marshall at
T.Read & Co.
Alwright & Marshall
Alwright & Marshall workshop now operating in No 3 Crane Lane is one of the longest remaining silversmith manufacturers of its stature in Dublin and can trace its own roots back to 1875 during which time their workshop carried out all manner of bespoke manufacture and repair works for Irelands most celebrated silversmith company WEST who were in fact first cousins of the Read family.
West began its existence in 1720 as West Sons on the city’s Capel Street. It transferred to College Green in 1845 and to 102 Grafton Street in 1912.
Queen Victoria gave West the royal warrant as her watchmaker, and once bought two replicas of the Tara Brooch from the company. The Lord Lieutenant of Ireland was another customer. The company also created the original 22-carat gold chain of office used by the Lord Mayor of Dublin and one replica.
West moved to 33 Grafton Street in 1965. West retail closed on 13 February 2010 and was in existence for 290 years.
Alwright and Marshall has always been a leader in supplying special pieces, commissioned by the State and leading corporate enterprises, also sporting events have been covered widely over the years with examples of their silverware much sought after through the antique trade and can be recognised by the makers mark (AM) alongside the Irish hallmark and are highly prized and collectable.
Bespoke services executed on site by our resident silversmith include
design and manufacture ,engraving, polishing and repair of:
- Table Silverware